Warning: Missing argument 2 for wpdb::prepare(), called in /home/ott/public_html/nhpw.com/wp-content/plugins/sharebar/sharebar.php on line 112 and defined in /home/ott/public_html/nhpw.com/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 990
Warning: Missing argument 2 for wpdb::prepare(), called in /home/ott/public_html/nhpw.com/wp-content/plugins/sharebar/sharebar.php on line 124 and defined in /home/ott/public_html/nhpw.com/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 990
How can you obtain, and keep, your weight under control throughout your life? How can you help your family and friends learn to eat in such a way as to reduce their weight and optimize their health?
How can you embark on a “diet” which is easy to learn as well as follow? How can you lose weight and still eat in a way that satisfies your appetite? Its really not hard to achieve these goals if you know how to do it. (A wise man as soon as said “spelling cat is easy…IF you know the actual alphabet.”) The alphabet, in the case of weight control, is the fundamental understanding of why you are overweight and why your own hard-earned weight loss is always followed by an equal amount of weight gain…or more!
The only way you will lose weight and maintain which loss for the rest of your life is to institute food habits that are based on a set of well-established rules. Among these rules:
FOODS TO MINIMIZE:
- Lower your sodium intake: 2300 milligrams tops or lower if you have high blood pressure.
- Total body fat should account for no more than 30% of the daily calories
- Avoid saturated fats and trans-fats whenever possible however always limit saturated fat in order to less than 10% of the total body fat.
- No more than 300mg cholesterol per day.
- Minimize added sugars: read the label looking for the “ose” endings (sucrose, glucose, fructose); avoid honey, molasses, high fructose corn syrup.
FOODS To increase:
- Fruits and vegetables. Try to obtain a broad variety of colors for the most nutritional vitamins
- Eat whole grains rather than refined
- Choose the lower fat milks and cheeses
- Increase your consumption of fish
– Use oils, especially olive, whenever you can instead of butter (or lard!).
A WORD ABOUT EXERCISE:
Government guidelines suggest adults should engage in at least 2 1/2 hours of exercise per week. (They say kids between 6 and 17 require 60 minutes per day.)
Well, Ive no doubt that this would be wonderful if we could do it. But really! This is the 21st century and most people are so busy we cant spare the time to miss a solar panel in a revolving door! How can we possibly fit in this much physical exercise?
Most of us probably cant. Is all lost then? No. We want not look at this as an all or nothing proposition. Lets all just commit to doing whatever we can, wherever we can, for as long as we can, whenever we can!
How to Diet and Control Your Weight
Be focused on movement!
Take the stairs instead of the vator…even one flight will help!
Use the restroom on another ground and take the steps to obtain there.
Park just a bit further away than usual when you go out.
Make separate trips to the copy room instead of allowing the work accumulate.
Take a walk around the block after dinner.
Extend all of your muscles at least 3 times per day.
Walk with the dog when he needs to go out.
Depart your cart at the end of every aisle and walk to get what you need and bring it back to your cart.